Thursday, September 23, 2010

Some Thursday Thoughts

So many things to talk about today.
But I'll keep it down to just the most important
things rolling around in my skull.
+ I want more money, so I'm going to start charging
the city for the use of my newly laid blacktop in front
of my house. The area where they clean out the ditch
and leave all the dead branches, rotting apples, used
plastic bottles, whatever is stuck in the ditch.
The refuse they leave there and think fairies will clean up
after them. They want a raise? Me too. frustrating.
+Last week we helped with a funeral of a gentleman in our
ward. He was an athlete of world class caliber.
His family had all his trophies, ribbons, newspaper
articles and accolades on display.
They spoke of his prowess in the athletic world.
He broke world records and still holds a few.
An amazing feat.
They never mentioned he was on the YM General Board
or that he served in the Stake YM presidency
or that he was in many Elders quorum and HP presidencies
or that he spoke in youth conferences and firesides.
We had him speak at a stake girls camp a few years ago.
When I die- I want everyone to know
I served my Heavenly Father the best I knew how.
I felt so hollow for him.
His children didn't know him.
They looked at him with "worldly" eyes.
how sad.
+Book review!
I didn't realize how fascinating the history of Egypt could be!
I just finished the book "Nefertiti" by Michelle Moran.
What a great read!
I Googled Nefertiti and found the book to be
historically sound.
And on the plus side- it is
a smut-free book, sometimes hard to find :)
This is a bust of Nefertiti found in the studio of
an Egyptian artist named Thutmose.

The author tells her story in a totally believable way.
She puts facts and fiction together to weave a
hard to put down story!
I'm a fan of the Hunger Games, but this story
was every bit as entertaining.
This bust is a computer generated depiction of
what Nefertiti actually looked like.
She is one tough woman.
The life span of ancient Egyptians was much shorter than ours.
they matured quicker?
She was only 15 when married to
17 year old Amunhotep the future pharaoh.
This bust depicts her in her very early 20"s.
She had an unheard of at the time- six daughters,
while trying to have one heir to the throne son.
The picture below is what the experts think is her
mummy.
The author comes up with an explanation of
how the body is mutilated. And it's very believable :)
As when I read about the pioneers, or any
of those who came before us, I am amazed
at how people would survive, live, love and progress.
I am floored when I read of how civilized these people were
and yet how paganistic and superstitious they could be.
A great, quick, grab you by the collar and run read.
Good thing Thursdays are made for rambling,
I certainly did my share.
I'm still frustrated with the city though,
wish my want for my $ could come true too.
but let's not start that again :)

3 comments:

  1. On the city wanting more $$ front I have nothing to offer. I realize they need money to do things but the amount that they are asking seems excessive to me...and I have not been impressed with how they've handled money in the past so...

    I am going to put that book in my queue at the library. AND I think that you should dress up as Nefertiti for Halloween.

    That is so very sad that his family only focused on the worldly things with nothing said about the time spent in service to his Father in Heaven. :( I am certain that you will be remembered in the exact way that you want to be remembered. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooo!! A new book!! How cool! I must get it! And we will remember you for all that you did for our Heavenly Father, Mom. Don't worry. That's all we know is what you've done for him, because everything you did was for him. :) And that's how you've taught us to be too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur with the other two comments...all the way around. I agree with the idea that what really matters--and what you'd like to be remembered for (me too! me too!) was the way you served the Lord, your family, your neighbors and friends. I'll have a few things to say about you, my friend, there...only verifying what your family is sure to mention.

    Thanks for the book tip...that looks very interesting. Have you ever read Pope Joan? Another historic story I had never heard of...and quite remarkable.

    And don't get me started about the city. That is the nicest thing I can say about it today.

    ReplyDelete